Allotment News! (Heads up:we’ve got our work cut out for us!)

Hello everyone, Happy Friday!

So, as I have mentioned before, I applied for an allotment last year, and was placed on the waiting list.  I wasn’t really expecting one to come up so quickly, but as I type this, I am waiting for my invoice and key from the council to be sent to me.  Deciding to take on an allotment is not a decision I’ve taken lightly.  I know that it has become very fashionable in the last few years to have a plot and to grow your own vegetables – and seeing how hard my parents work on their large plot across the lane from their home, means I am under no illusion as to how back breaking growing your own veg can be.  However, I think the children and I are ready to take on a plot, which will obviously be a long term project.  From what I understand, councils are now dividing up plots to make them smaller, which makes a huge amount of sense to me, as most people just can’t cope with a huge space to cultivate.

Now, having said all this, I wasn’t quite prepared for the wilderness that greeted us when we went to view it during half term!  I thought that reason there was a waiting list, was because all the plots were being used.  However when we turned up, it became apparent that a lot of the plots have been abandoned, and nature has completely taken over.  I spoke to a couple of the elderly gentlemen who were there, and both welcomed new faces, shaking their heads that the council has allowed so many plots to become neglected.

So, this is the plot that we have been offered –

Interesting huh?!

On showing these snaps to some friends, some have laughed and some shaken their heads, others can see the beauty and potential…but all of them know that when faced with a challenge like this, I am like a dog with a bone, a woman on a mission!  My first feeling was ‘we can’t do this’ but it very quickly changed to ‘yes we can!’.  The fact that the children fell in love with it straight away sealed the deal for me, we had only been there 20 seconds before they were choosing which area they will tend to.  My boy is desperate to get in there and start clearing it.  I know that they may not be interested in it all the time, but if I can teach them a little bit about how rewarding it is to put time and effort into something, then it will be worth it.  Plus I want to eat fresh peas out of their shells!

I have already ordered some luscious dahlia tubers from Sarah Raven, because part of the plan is that there will be a cutting garden there too.  I need flowers all the time for my styling and photography, so I’m really hoping that I can learn about growing armfuls of candy coloured blooms.

So what do you think dear readers, am I completely bonkers to take on this little wilderness?  Or do you think I can make it work?  I will, of course share my journey here.  In the meantime I need to sharpen my tools, buy some very thick gloves, and accept every offer of help I’ve had to clear the brambles!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Tamsyn x

14 Comments

1. Sarah
    24th February 2017 / 12:59 pm

What a wonderful challenge – good luck with it. No doubt it will be looking fantastic in no time! Can’t wait to see your progress 🙂

• tamsynmorgans
      26th February 2017 / 1:08 pm

Thank you so much Sarah, really hope to be able to share some pictures of some of our home grown blooms and veg later in the year!

2. sarah
    24th February 2017 / 4:55 pm

Hi Tamsyn, The allotment will be fab. We had one at Harford Bridge in Norwich when we lived there, and now have one in Suffolk opposite our cottage. Sweet peas essential!! We found our eldest daughter is bit of a whizz with green fingers, our youngest daughter collected snails (sort of helpful if released miles from the plot) and our son loves anything involving shears and loppers! Good luck, it won’t be instantaneous, but a thermos of tea and a cake get the troops working!! Thanks for advice at the Decorative Styling Workshop, recommend to everyone!

• tamsynmorgans
      26th February 2017 / 1:09 pm

Hi Sarah, that all sounds lovely, really want to get the children as involved as possible! Have always wanted to grow sweet peas too. It was a real pleasure, thank you so much for coming!

3. Sarah
    24th February 2017 / 7:42 pm

I reckon you have an absolute gem there – have fun and enjoy

• tamsynmorgans
      26th February 2017 / 1:10 pm

Thank you so much Sarah, I feel that way about it to! Can’t wait to get started!

4. 25th February 2017 / 12:29 pm

Hey Tamsyn, we’ve just given up an allotment as we’ve been lucky enough to move to a house with a big back garden and the Mister is itching to get out and get planting so we have a bit of work ahead of us too. We had a super tame little robin red breast who would eat grubs and bugs from our hands which was brilliant! Also much to my dismay most of our peas were eaten by the Mister and his Pops on site so make sure you plant hundreds and hundreds of them! x

• tamsynmorgans
      26th February 2017 / 1:12 pm

Hi Claire, how wonderful, that just made me smile about the peas!! Really looking forward to getting started on it and sharing some pictures later in the year of what we manage to grow! x

5. 26th February 2017 / 7:48 pm

Hi Tamsyn, we’ve had an allotment for 3 or 4 years. Getting started is the hardest bit, especially if your plot is a wilderness. My advice is to accept all help offered (maybe even pay someone to get it cleared for you as it’s soooooo wild) and get busy planting as soon as the time is right. We work on ours all year, everything takes a lot longer than you imagine! But enjoy it, enjoy your time there. I’ve got a cutting patch planned and have just started sowing seeds in the greenhouse. Can’t wait.

• tamsynmorgans
      28th February 2017 / 7:50 am

Hi Sophie, thank you so much, I am definitely going to accept all help offered as it is so overgrown! I’m going to cultivate a small section at a time too to avoid becoming completely overwhelmed. How lovely, can’t wait to see pictures of your cutting patch!

6. 27th February 2017 / 1:46 pm

Oh I think that it’s marvellous – amazing potential! I can just imagine you growing your cutting garden flowers there, and the idea of eating peas straight from the shell is divine. Having seen how hard you’ve worked with your gorgeous home, and the fact that you’ve seen the effort that your parents have put into their own allotment over the years, I know that it will be a satisfying and beautiful success! Best of luck! x

• tamsynmorgans
      28th February 2017 / 7:50 am

Hi Paula, ah thank you so much! I know how much work it’s going to be but I’m so excited! xx

7. Sarah
    14th March 2017 / 4:02 pm

I have followed your blog for quite a long time now, and I know if anyone can do this, it’s you! And it will be brilliant! I would probably hire someone to do the major clearing and maybe rototilling, but that’s me. You’ve done such amazing things in the last two or three years I truly believe you can do anything you set your mind to.
    xo

• tamsynmorgans
      17th March 2017 / 12:25 pm

Hello Sarah! Thank you SO much for your lovely comment, hearing that has made my day. I do love a good challenge! Have a lovely weekend x